The Dawson family is very close—and very interconnected. They own and operate a business together and have several family partnerships and investments. They were seeking a strategic thought partner that could see the big picture of their whole family’s financial world and also help each family unit to make smart decisions that were right for them individually.
When we began our work together, Matter examined the Dawsons’ entire balance sheet and made sure we had a clear understanding of all financial entities, opportunities, and risks. We then assembled a Matter team for each household based on the skills and personalities that would create the best relationship synergy and financial outcomes.
The Dawson’s Matter teams:
- Collaborated closely with their longtime advisors, including their law firm, accounting firm, and the trusted leader of their SFO
- Met with each family unit to understand their vision and wealth goals and prioritize planning components
- Met with the whole Dawson family together to review the big picture and begin to align on a shared path forward
During this time, our teams unpacked each household’s unique cash flow, investment, tax, estate, and charitable intentions and built a customized family strategic plan that incorporated the entire family balance sheet and was actuated for each household.
Our teams unpacked each household’s unique cash flow, investment, tax, estate, and charitable intentions and built a customized family strategic plan that incorporated the entire family balance sheet and was actuated for each household.
We also began to transition the Dawsons from their SFO to our multi-family office, supporting the whole family in the day-to-day management of every aspect of their wealth, including:
- paying bills
- making tax estimates
- managing insurance policies and properties
- coordinating private investments and creating consolidated reporting across all investment classes
- tracking and reporting income from a variety of sources
- managing and executing their estate plan
- handling payroll for household staff
- facilitating communication and collaboration between family members
We took time to assess where we could improve outcomes and realize efficiencies, and to separate these functions by family units to provide more clarity and personal choice, so each household could select the right solutions for them.
It’s been three years since Matter began transitioning the Dawson family from a SFO to our multi-family office model. The senior Dawsons are relieved that they no longer need to manage the business of their family and grateful to have more strategic support across all elements of their wealth. The adult children are thrilled to be working with their own Matter teams to build financial plans that will help everyone in their household flourish while supporting the collective vision and wealth purpose of the whole Dawson family. And all of the Dawsons feel grateful that Matter is managing the details and complexities of their family wealth—and helping to sustain and grow it for generations to come.
The information above is based on actual client situations but names and facts have been altered for privacy purposes.